Kayak - Nostradamus - The Fate Of Man  CD (album) cover

NOSTRADAMUS - THE FATE OF MAN

Kayak

friso
3 stars To me this record was a bit of a dissapointment. I very much liked Merlin, it's one of my alltime favourites and I find it underrated by most people. Nostradamus would have been a great record if some popsongs were deleted from the tracklisting. Highlights are Friends of the Stars, Dance of Death, The Inquisistion, If History was mine alone and A royal inventation/Tell me all/The Tournament/The golden Cage (one story wihtin the story). A lot of other songs are to be seen as popmusic.

It's actually a shame nog live dvd was released! On www.kayakonline.nl you can read a very nice blog about what happened during the tour in the theaters. Very impressing how much problems they had to solve. And then - this is a hobby! All Kayak members have fulltime jobs aside there musical career. It must have been very hard to make a musical in your spare time! So very much compliments for that!

Some less good things about the album are the vocals of Bert Heerink. In the '80 he started of very good with the hairmetal/glamourrock band Vandenberg (I recommend the Alibi album, thought it ain't prog). On this record his age plays a part too. You can hear his voice declining. After this record he also left the band. Over the whole album his voice is sufficient though.

I think this would have been a great dvd and cd if they had the financial backup to make it. The cd sounds like it's recorded in a rush to me. Kayak being the number one bad luck band of music history have always had financial problems. They actually never seen a penny of their whole carrier. To bad, because the music is worth it.

So, in summary, a good opera. It must have been a great show in theaters! As an concept album to many popsongs for me but also great rock moments and prog influences on most songs. You will also find good vocals of all the girls they invited for this project. I've been sceptical of the popmoments on this album. I want to add one thing; for popmusic, it's bloody good! Three stars - but with a warm feeling in my heart still, for Kayak is one of my favourite bands!

friso | 3/5 |