Dream Theater - Octavarium CD (album) cover

OCTAVARIUM

Dream Theater

Treasure
2 stars Overall, I really loved the tracks that aren't plagiarized. So I'll only give those a real review.

The Root OF All Evil, next to Repentance, is my favorite AA suite song. Not too metal, not too soft. It's really nice, the most distinctive in the whole suite. Nice tribute to Pink Floyd's Welcome To The Machine with the beginning synthesizer. (8/10)

The Answer Lies Within, sounds like Coldplay. (0/10)

These Walls, sounds like Linkin Park. (0/10)

I Walk Beside You, sounds like Coldplay. (0/10)

Panic Attack, sounds a little like Muse. (0/10)

Never Enough, sounds A LOT like Muse. (0/10)

Sacrficed Sons, now this is the Dream Theater I remember! Slow start, but becomes this wrecking ball of prog towards the middle with an intense instrumental. Great song. (9/10)

Octavarium, now here's a difference between a tribute and Plagiarism. This song is a tribute to 70's prog, with clear sounds like Pink Floyd, Genesis and Yes. One of their best epics, great song, great lyrics. (9/10)

Now, if Dream Theater actually had creative ideas, like their last albums before this, they might be still a great band. They still are, but ultimately fall face first with their thumbs up their asses one this one. Two stars.

Treasure | 2/5 |