Opeth - Damnation CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

4 stars And I, should contemplate this change and look away

Boy am I glad I did. This record is great!

Windowpane, honestly, didn't hit me too well. I didn't think it was that good a piece of music. It's pointlessly long and overplayed by my friends. Point being, it's not bad, just too long. (7/10)

In My Time Of Need, however, hit VERY well with me. The vocals at the start were very original and it's just a good song to space out to. The chorus makes me get very emotional for some reason. Some eventful thing that happened a long time ago. Beautiful song. (10/10)

Death Whispered A Lullaby, has fantastic lyrics and great drumming. It's also co-written by Steven Wilson, which makes sense. It sounds like something he'd write: Out on the road, there are five flies circling. (8/10)

Closure, WOW. Starts off a little folksy, but becomes this prog wonderland. I can't stop playing this song, it's so much fun! The playing is just amazing. The structure is geinus. Very well written and overall well thought out. I listen to each record when as I review them and once I finish reviewing a song I'll skip to the next. But not with this one. My personal favorite off of the album. (9/10)

Hope Leaves, this is one of the most beautiful Opeth songs I've ever heard. Actually, just one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard overall. Lyrically, it's pure genius: There is a wound, that's always bleeding, there is a road, i'm always walking. Musically, it's wonderful. I made a self discovery just now, Mikael Akerfeldt may not have as much skill as some guitarists, but his playing is so emotional and beautiful. It's addiciting. (10/10)

To Rid The Disease. Mellotron is all over this record, but it's very apparent here. It's a solid song with great keyboards in the background (Wilson). The solo is nice, but the lone keyboards right after that. So haunting. That section of the song is spooky along with the ending. (9/10)

Ending Credits, which in all respects is a lot like Epilogue concept wise. It's so short, but the guitar lines and playing is beyond beautiful. It's just nothing short of amazing. There's not much else to say about the song, other than it's awesome. (9/10)

Weakness, an organ driven little ghost track that reminds me a lot like the ending of By The Pain I See In Others, from Deliverance. Pretty eerie, nice ender. (9/10)

Overall, this version of Opeth is much better than the murderous brutal Deliverance Opeth. Overall it's deserving of 4.5 stars. Very well written and well executed.

Treasure | 4/5 |