Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions Of The Emerald Beyond  CD (album) cover

VISIONS OF THE EMERALD BEYOND

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Treasure
3 stars This is one of the worst Mahavishnu records. It's also one of their rarest, lucky me. I found it looking through for some Bill Bruford Earthworks at Best Buy.

It features some sort of creative jamming, but with the exception of Eternity's Breath and Be Happy, the whole album repeats itself constantly. A lot of the songs are just random noise. I didn't find all too interesting, more of a mock effort than a record. The songs that were good however, were incredible.

Be Happy is just mind blowing, it's such a force of prog hitting you at once. To be quite honest, I don't think there is a time signature in that song. Everyone is just going at full force. The drumming is nothign short of amazing, Narada Michael Walden really works the fills.

Eternity's Breath, being a good old funk song, really hit the spot for me. The drumming was pretty different but the violin playing from Jean-Luc Ponty was just beyond amazing. I'm giving this album 3 stars just on those two songs being incredible.

Treasure | 3/5 |