Opeth - Blackwater Park CD (album) cover

BLACKWATER PARK

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

SoundsofSeasons
5 stars RWWAARR!!!! The sun sets FOREVER over... BLACKWATER PARK!!!!

Oh god... my first Opeth album, and my first exposure to death metal ever. In fact, it was my first album with growling vocals as well! You could have called it my 'virgin' listen, as it felt that way, cause I was basically brutally raped by this album. So, any of you not familiar with 'death vox', believe me I was totally there, and what an eye opener it was for me.

Just picture this... it's about 9 o'clock P.M., and on my way home I stop at Bestbuy, cause im just too compulsive not to buy a cd when i have extra cash. Well, after gleefully skipping and chuckling up and down the cd isles looking for my favorites (not really...) for about 30 minutes, a womans voice says over the intercom, The store will be closing soon, Thank You., or something like that. Anyway, I just couldn't leave this store without an album in my hand, and i hadn't found anything that I didn't already have or particularly wanted from the bands I normally listen to. Quickly i surveyed the area i was already standing... Pink Floyd... nope i got most of those albums... Porcupine Tree... no i have all those... and then i look left and a name and album cover catch my eye Opeth Blackwater Park. Hey i've heard a lot about this band on Progarchives... and i liked that song 'Closure' (little did I know that 'Closure' was from their only pure prog, and no growls, album Damnation . How naiive I was... i picked up the album, with its beautifully haunting grey cover depicting a kind of swamp and ghostly people, and proceeded to my car to drive home. I opened up the disk, seemed rather beautiful with its pale white color disk, and intricately drawn 'Opeth' symbol. I put it in and start driving home... but all i hear for the first few seconds is a kind of quiet hum, that i can only describe as what the sound of fog rolling in might be, so i turn up my already much to loud car cd player even more... big mistake. Wait, it's getting louder, what is that?... and suddenly, like the freiking Coolade man just burst in through my front windsheild. BANG! We enter winter once again!!!! . This scared the living CRAP out of me, I literally jumped in my seat and my car swerved (no seriously... I was a brand new driver, lol). And after turning down my car stereo to about half that volume, to save what was left of my hearing... i was never the same again. O.K. maybe thats a bit to dramatic, but really once you've heard Opeth, you'll never forget it and it will stick with you forever on your musical journey.

From the brutal assault of growls and riffs in The Leper Affinity and The Drapery Falls , to the extremely catchy chorus of Bleak ala Steven Wilson, to the wonderful acoustics of Harvest and Patterns in the Ivy ... even to the very last song Blackwater Park itself that ends perfectly as you could only dream as not to spoil a flawless album.

Thats right, i said FLAWLESS ALBUM . And other than Opeth, I don't even listen to death metal!

Blackwater Park is a Flawless Masterpiece of progressive rock. A desert island album of mine, and a must own

SoundsofSeasons | 5/5 |