Dream Theater - Images And Words CD (album) cover

IMAGES AND WORDS

Dream Theater

4.29 | 2027 ratings

Valarius
5 stars I remember back in 2003, I was looking in some random music shop (Virgin, HMV, etc) with the intention of parting with my cash on a new band that I've never heard. Whilst looking around I stumbled across this album... Dream Theater... "where have I heard that name?" I thought. Of course, they covered Master of Puppets! "Wow! They must be really good. I'm gonna check 'em out!".

At first I got home and heard it, and I was speechless. "This album sucks" I thought. However one thing kept me coming back for more, the amazingly heavy intro to opening track 'Pull Me Under'.

As I heard more and more, the album grew on me. And all these random traits of Prog music such as time changes, long, complex arrangements, open-minded musical influences (the jazz bit on 'Another Day' or the funky feel of 'Take the Time' for example), keyboards, random lyrics and massive instrumental sections started to make sense to me.

Obviously this was my first true Prog experience, and the more I heard the album, the more it blew me away!

To this day I believe music-wise that was the second most important find of my life (the first being 'Destroyer' by Kiss). 'Images and Words' opened me up to a whole new world. Not just a new music genre, but a new way of thinking in music.

So what makes it so great? The awesome songs. The amazing structures. The fact that every song is a musical journey. This album has everything and more. It crosses to so many different styles of music. It has long and short tracks. Heavy and melodic. Amazing playing and amazing production. Every note will jump from your speakers with a smooth, crisp sound. You will not find any fillers on this record. An absolute masterpiece!

This is the album that made Dream Theater, and defined all Progressive Metal bands/albums for years to come. Any fan of Prog Metal should not be without this album, and I'm sure there is something for most old-school Prog fans too. Without a doubt, 'Images and Words' is my favourite album of all time.

Valarius | 5/5 |