Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade Of Gray CD (album) cover

A PLEASANT SHADE OF GRAY

Fates Warning

Valarius
5 stars There comes a time in every bands career when they make changes to their sound. Some bands do it flawlessly, gaining new fans and keeping old ones. Other bands fail miserably, alienating everyone. Fates Warning is an example of a band doing it properly.

Fates Warning's 90's albums are pretty strong releases, and there was no question that 'Parallels' and 'Inside Out' would be hard to top, but with 'A Pleasant Shade of Grey' the band really hit their stride as a Prog band with what I consider to be their greatest work.

With only one guitar (instead of the usual two) and a keyboard player, Fates Warning take on a more progressive feel with their music. Gone are the metal songs and in their place stands atmospheric, ambient songs. Though don't get me wrong, this album still has plenty of heavy riffs to keep faithful fans happy, but the album as a whole focuses more on mood, and the concept album thing keeps the songs connected.

As always, impressive displays of musicianship are everywhere, especially from drummer Mark Zonder and vocalist Ray Alder. Though Jim Matheos is no slouch, and his thoughtful, complex riffs are everywhere. Added to this album is keyboard player Kevin Moore (known for his work with Dream Theater) who adds a new level of emotion on the album.

On first playing this album it took me a few listens to get into the swing of it. I guess that's what you get with concept albums though. Instead of 5/6 minute rock tracks you're getting one long story told through 12 different parts.

It'd be hard for me to point out any highlights as the album works so much better as one piece, rather than individual components. This isn't the sort of album that would grow on you upon your first listen, but then isn't that what we love about Prog?

Valarius | 5/5 |