John Zorn - Film Works XIX: The Rain Horse CD (album) cover

FILM WORKS XIX: THE RAIN HORSE

John Zorn

RIO/Avant-Prog

Equality 7-2521
4 stars For the longest time I shied away from Zorn's filmworks. I was initially hypnotized by Zorn, as most are, due to his masterpiece Naked City and subsequently fell victim to his catalogue of Avant Garde music. For no discernible reason I felt for the longest time that taking this highly experimental element away from his music would also remove any enjoyment to be drawn from it. However, showing his abilities as a composer, Zorn certainly dispelled that wayward thought with The Rain Horse.

We see here Zorn at his most accessible giving us music perfectly fit for sitting out on the porch during the summer or taking a relaxing drive. The assembled band consists of cello, piano, and bass. Just 3 guys playing their hearts out in a studio, no overdubs, special guests, or studio trickery. The outcome: pure delicate beauty. As you would expect from a soundtrack the incorporates a strong visual element to it. I feel much the same while listening to this album I do while listening Tchaikovsky, although Zorn produces this feeling mostly through jazz tinged with traditional Jewish music.

As with most truly great and beautiful albums I have few words with which to properly translate the music. This album will serve as a fantastic addition to anyone's collection working just as well for seasoned Zorn fans as for those seeking a springboard into his music.

Equality 7-2521 | 4/5 |