David Bowie - Changes One CD (album) cover

CHANGES ONE

David Bowie

js (Easy Money)
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Changes One is a decent collection of Bowie songs circa 69 to 76. All the songs you would expect to be here are here; Changes, Space Oddity, Fame, Young Americans, etc, etc. The only surprise is John, I'm Only Dancing which had never been released on an album before this collection came out. Apparently early British pressings of Changes One include an instrumental version of John, unfortunately I don't have that version.

Most of these songs have been played to death on classic rock radio, but if for some reason you are new to the cultural phenomenon known as David Bowie, then this is an OK introduction to his slightly more commercial side. If you want to hear David's more progressive material then you will want to check out albums such as Low or Station to Station.

One feature of this album that I enjoyed a lot in my wild youthful years is the juxtaposition of Suffragette City and The Jean Genie. These are two great punkish rockers that I used to listen to in the morning while I was getting hyped for a new day. It's helpful that they are placed back to back on the album, conveniance like this is nice when you are young and impatient.

js (Easy Money) | 3/5 |