Yes - Close To The Edge CD (album) cover

CLOSE TO THE EDGE

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
5 stars An ostensive definition of 'masterpiece'

In my opinion Close To The Edge is simply the best musical composition ever made; not only the best progressive rock composition, but musical composition full stop. It is just perfect and otherworldly good. The two other songs here are equally amazing and all three are, of course, absolute Prog classics of the very highest caliber. For me this album is the one against which all others must be judged.

Fragile was the first Yes album I heard and it changed my life for always. Close To The Edge was clearly more difficult to get into, but now I like these two albums about equally. For me, these two albums are simply far above all else.

Close To The Edge is also the most essential progressive rock album of all time. If you have even the slightest interest in Prog you must have this album. Indeed, if you are interested in music in general you ought to hear this at least five times (you'll need it if you are new to Prog, and you probably will want to hear it more and more).

Almost a definition of 'masterpiece'!

SouthSideoftheSky | 5/5 |