Strawbs - Grave New World CD (album) cover

Prog Folk

Symphonic Team
3 stars Tomorrow

Strawbs' previous From The Witchwood had constituted a major leap forward from the band's humble Folk beginnings. Grave New World, though a fine Prog-related Folk Rock album in its own right, find them treading water a bit. Don't get me wrong, there is lots for the Prog Folk fan to enjoy here, and the band had certainly already come a long way since their beginnings in pure Folk, but what I'm saying is that some fans of Prog in general might rightly wonder what the fuss is about considering this album. What we have here is a collection of rather short but generally very pleasant tunes, some of which are acoustic and some of which are electric, but few of which are very progressive. There is an attempt to connect them together to create something greater than the mere sum of its parts, but this attempt is not wholly successful if you ask me.

Some people consider this to be Strawbs finest hour, and even if I agree that it is indeed a very good album, I think that the creative peak of the band was yet to come at this point. At least from a Prog perspective, Hero And Heroine would be Strawbs' real breakthrough and their true masterpiece.

A good album, but not the band's best in this fans' opinion

SouthSideoftheSky | 3/5 |