Camel - The Snow Goose CD (album) cover

Camel

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
3 stars Flight of the snow camel

Camel's wholly instrumental concept album The Snow Goose was actually one of the very first real (as opposed to Prog related) Prog albums I ever heard. And it apparently made its marks on me as I'm still here (in the Prog world) now. And this is definitely a minor classic of the progressive Rock genre and an important album for Camel, one of my all time favourite bands. However, comparing it to Mirage or Moonmadness - the two albums that surrounded it - The Snow Goose does not quite hold up too well in my opinion (but few things do, on the other hand). There are passages of sheer brilliance on this album for sure, but nothing that is quite up to par with the material on Mirage, Moonmadness or even the self-titled debut. The present album is thus my least favourite of Camel's classic period (their first four albums). But it is still a very good album that should definitely be heard!

I have always liked this album but I do think that it is a bit too light-weight. I have heard live recordings of music from this album that sound a bit more powerful compared to this original studio version (there is a full live performance of The Snow Goose from the live album A Live Record, and parts of it are performed on the official live releases Pressure Points, Never Let Go and Coming Of Age). There could be more of an edge to these tunes.

Recommended