Emerson Lake & Palmer - Love Beach CD (album) cover

LOVE BEACH

Emerson Lake & Palmer

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
2 stars Finally, I got to hear this much hated album. Since I have heard so many bad things about it, I was expecting the worst. Actually, the album is not that bad! Obviously, this album is not comparable to the early classic albums Brain Salad Surgery, Tarkus, Trilogy and the self-titled debut. But Love Beach is actually better than the bands previous two studio efforts; Works vol. 1 and Works vol. 2 (the latter wasn't really a proper studio album at all, but more of a compilation of previously unreleased tracks).

What people seem to hate most about this album is the cover art and the lyrics. I cannot other than agree with this. But it is the music that judgements (mainly) should be based upon, isn't it? And the track The Gambler is the only thing here that is truly awful. The Greg Lake songs from this album, All I Want Is You, Love Beach, Taste Of My Love and For You are listenable but forgettable. However, I think that these songs are mostly better than the songs from side two of the Works vol. 1 album (which was made up entirely of Lake's songs).

Memoirs Of An Officer And A Gentleman is easily the best and most interesting track on this album and in my opinion this is actually just as enjoyable as Pirates (also from the Works vol. 1 album). The section of this epic called Letters From The Front is especially good. Also, Canario (a classical composition?) is a good track.

The remastered CD version also offers three bonus tracks. These are rehearsals of Canario, Taste Of My Love and Letters From The Front. These tracks constitute a rare insight into the studio.

There are many Emerson Lake & Palmer albums that should be checked out before this one. Their first four studio albums, the great 1992 comeback album Black Moon and the Emerson, Lake & Powell album are all far better than this. However, Love Beach isn't that horrible, and it isn't their worst album.

Worth having if you are a fan and you have all the other albums I mentioned.

SouthSideoftheSky | 2/5 |