Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear CD (album) cover

Marillion

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
3 stars Only the beginning

I am probably quite alone in my opinion, but I consider this album to be somewhat naive and that the next one would be a more mature album. The title track as well as The Web and Garden Party are very good songs, but the other three songs here have never made any kind of impact on me whatsoever. I think that He Knows You Know, Chelsea Monday and Forgotten Sons lack strong melodies and are hardly progressive. These songs are strongly dominated by Fish's theatrical and somewhat eccentric vocals rather than on melody. He often talks instead of sings, which I have a hard time with. I was never a major fan of his vocal style, but I think he became better over the years.

I also agree with the usual complaint against Neo-Prog in general and Marillion in particular, that they sound too close to Peter Gabriel-era Genesis. I think that with their next album, Marillion would show a development of their own sound. In my opinion, this debut was only the beginning. It was with Fugazi, Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws that they finally dispensed with the most obvious Genesis influences and allowed something new and more original to come up to the surface.

If Fish-era Marillion is your favourite band then this album is, of course, essential. For the general Prog-fan there are far better albums both by this band and in the Neo-progressive sub-genre.

SouthSideoftheSky | 3/5 |