Mike Oldfield - Crises CD (album) cover

CRISES

Mike Oldfield

Valarius
4 stars One day as I helped my Mum unpack her shopping bags from the supermarkets, I came across a CD she had purchased for the small amount of 3. My Mum thought very highly of Mike Oldfield's 'Crises', an album she originally had on vinyl when she was younger, and with Mike Oldfield being a name I was familiar with, I decided to put on the CD and see what it was all about.

The next day I drove to the shop and bought my own copy of the album.

I had encountered Mike Oldfield's music many times in my life. Though this was without a doubt the record that properly got me hooked, he was one of those artists my parents would own a few albums of, so throughout my childhood I'd come to recognize quite a few of his pieces.

As with most Oldfield records, the title track is the main attraction, and rightfully so. According to the man himself this song was influenced by a lot of the Heavy Metal bands at the time. Though this isn't exactly a Metal song, it does have a very Rock-ish feel to it. Some great instrumental work is involved here, and I'm sure most fans will be pleased with it.

After the title track is five short pop songs, the most famous being the hit single 'Moonlight Shadow'. A guest appearance by Jon Anderson (of Yes fame) is also a welcome addition on the song 'In High Places'. Each song has a different style and vibe from the last, so there's plenty here to keep the listener guessing.

Mike Oldfield fans will no doubt enjoy this album, and if you ever come across a chance to pick it up cheap, I highly recommend that you do.

Valarius | 4/5 |