Meshuggah - Catch 33 CD (album) cover

CATCH 33

Meshuggah

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Valarius
1 stars I came across this album in a music shop for 3 and decided to check it out. I'd heard a lot about Meshuggah and their so-called Math Metal and was intrigued. However, to be honest this is probably one of the worst albums I own.

Being into Thrash Metal during my teenage years, I thought I'd be able to tolerate the shouting vocals, which was originally my biggest concern, though it really doesn't matter. The album as a whole just doesn't work for me.

'Catch 33' is meant to be one long song. However, I find it extremely boring, and to my ears it just sounds like one riff all the way throughout with a little tweaking here or there.

After hearing it once and being totally put off, I gave it one more chance in case my attitude towards shouting in songs was misguiding me. But no, It still sounds awful.

I'm not putting anyone down. Obviously there is a market for this kind of music, but it really doesn't work for me. If I ever check out a new band and the album tends to suck I might usually give them one more chance in case the problem lies with the record, and not my tastes. But not with this band. Unless I can ever find one really cheap, like for 1, or even for free, then forget it. Meshuggah is most definitely not my cup of tea.

Valarius | 1/5 |