Andromeda - Extension of the Wish - The Final Extension CD (album) cover

EXTENSION OF THE WISH - THE FINAL EXTENSION

Andromeda

Valarius
5 stars Before I go any further I'd just like to note that I own the two-disc version of this album, known as 'The Definitive Extension'. Both discs have this album on it, but disc one is the final extension version with new vocalist David Fremberg whilst disc two has original vocalist Lawrence Mackrory. Disc one also includes two extra songs. I will be reviewing this version (disc one) with David Fremberg on vocals.

Stumbling across this band whilst browsing through Progarchives.com, I listened to the song 'Extension of the Wish' and loved it. I finally managed to track down the album and I was blown away.

The opening track 'The Words Unspoken' is possibly one of the best songs I've ever heard. Extremely proggy and metal, but also very melodic and catchy. I usually play this in the car and have had a lot of people (including non prog/metal fans) ask who this is. The rest of the album goes by flawlessly, and it's hard to believe this is just their debut!

Another album highlight is instrumental track 'Chameleon Carnival', which besides being an amazingly impressive display of scales and theory on behalf of guitarist Johan Reinholdz, it is also a really fun song, which seems to get more and more enjoyable with each listen.

I truly believe Andromeda to be the greatest band to appear within recent times, and that there is something here for everyone. Old and new prog fans alike will enjoy this album, and fans of Dream Theater will definitely be missing out if they don't check this band out.

Valarius | 5/5 |