Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden CD (album) cover

IRON MAIDEN

Iron Maiden

Valarius
3 stars All in all this is a really good album, and I don't think there's much left to say about it that hasn't already been said over the years.

I have rated this album three stars for one reason. All the songs are really good, but as a whole there's nothing that blows you away. Each track is really fun, full of energy and really catchy, but afterwards there's no feeling in my gut that I've just heard a musical masterpiece.

Though Paul Di'Anno is no Bruce Dickinson, I think his voice really suits the music well on this album. Considering this is before Maiden did all the big epic things, and their music felt a lot more like a Rock/Punk band.

Fans of Maiden's more 'grandiose' albums may not approve too much of the more stripped down 'Rock' feel of Iron Maiden (the record) but there are one or two small Proggy elements that clearly hint at the direction the band want to take with their music, most notably in the song 'Phantom of the Opera'. Though I'd recommend this to diehard Maiden fans, casual listeners will find much better stuff in later material.

Valarius | 3/5 |