Savatage - Handful of Rain CD (album) cover

HANDFUL OF RAIN

Savatage

Valarius
4 stars I think it's safe to say that any band who has lost a member goes through the whole recovery stage, and this is it for Savatage. Whilst 'Handful of Rain' is a good album, I can't help but feel like this isn't THE Savatage we know and love. Mostly due to the absence of Criss Oliva, this generally sounds like a Savatage not quite at 100%.

Picking a score for this album was very difficult for me. It's by no means a masterpiece, but it is a very good album. The problem I find is that some of the songs tend to kind of plod along. While they may have the big epic sound we like from Savatage, it doesn't have the drive or ambition seen on earlier (and later) albums.

There are some really amazing songs on here though, and that's why I went with four stars instead of three. Songs like 'Chance' and 'Watching You Fall' are all vintage Savatage. And though I feel that sometimes the songs drag on a bit, each song still has its moments where you won't even be thinking about it and just letting the music take you away.

To me this is really a three star album with five star songs on it, so we'll nicely settle for a four star rating. If you're new to the band there is definitely better material out there, and this may not be the best album to buy if it's your introduction to Savatage. But none-the-less it is a great addition to any collection and there are some true gems on here that'll make it worth purchasing.

Valarius | 4/5 |