Dream Theater - When Dream And Day Unite  CD (album) cover

WHEN DREAM AND DAY UNITE

Dream Theater

Valarius
5 stars This album seems to have garnered a lot of mixed reviews over the years. Some people don't seem to think much of it whilst others think it's brilliant. I'm one of the latter. For a debut album this is some amazing stuff. Obviously not as mature as 'Images and Words' and lacking the production values of 'Scenes from a Memory', but strip away the faults and there are some truly great songs on this album.

One of the biggest complaints (or maybe praises) is Charlie Dominici's vocals. Though I can understand why people don't approve, I find his voice to be really good, and really goes well with the majestic feel of this album.

Another strong point of this album is the lyrics, which is some of the most random and yet, well thought- out lyrics I've heard, especially on the track 'Only a Matter of Time'.

Better things were destined to follow, but don't disregard this album. Not as legendary as Dream Theater's later material, and maybe not the best album if it's your introduction to the band, but this is definitely an amazing album, and I think the 80's production makes it easy to access for fans of all different Prog sub- genres.

Valarius | 5/5 |