Dream Theater - Train Of Thought CD (album) cover

TRAIN OF THOUGHT

Dream Theater

Valarius
5 stars Asked about the making of this album, Dream Theater have said that they were after an album full of live tunes; songs that will come across great in a cocert setting. I think anyone who has seen them or watched the 'Live at Budokan' DVD will agree that they succeeded.

Unfortunately this album has also come under much controversy for the fact that it is more of a metal album than a Prog album. Fortunately for me I was into Heavy Metal before I was into Prog, so I can appreciate the awesomeness of this album.

I remember getting this album when it came out, and when I put it on I instantly fell in love with the opening riffs of 'As I Am'. At the time I was still fairly new to Dream Theater and still into my Metal, so maybe it was easier for me to get into at that point in time. What follows is more nerve-shattering Metal songs from a band that put most modern Heavy Metal bands to shame. Songs like 'This Dying Soul' and 'Honor Thy Father' will leave your senses battered like never before.

As always with Dream Theater there is great musicianship on this album, and though some people don't like the million-mile-an-hour solos, I love 'em. So for me this album is spot on.

Fans of Progressive Rock and Dream Theater may have split views about this album, and that seems totally fair, but anyone who likes Heavy Metal, or any Metalheads looking to get into Dream Theater, can't go wrong with this album.

For me, as a Prog fan and a Metal fan, this album is brilliant.

Valarius | 5/5 |