Savatage - Poets & Madmen CD (album) cover

POETS & MADMEN

Savatage

Valarius
5 stars My first Savatage album was 'Handful of Rain', which at the time I didn't think too much of. Willing to give them another chance, I found this album pre-owned for £3 in a music shop. Absolutely amazing that it turned out to be one of my favourite albums of all time, yet cost so little. Sadly though, my favourite Savatage album turned out to be their last (at the time of this review anyway).

The album kicks off with 'Stay with Me Awhile' which has an intro so heavy and powerful it's hard not to let it grab you by the throat, and the rest of the album goes by flawlessly, delivering what you'd expect from Savatage. 'Morphine Child' is possibly on of the most epic songs you'll ever here, and there's plenty more like 'There in the Silence', 'Commissar' and 'Back to A Reason' to make sure that if Savatage were bowing out, they were certainly bowing out in a blaze of glory.

Chris Caffery's guitar work is amazing as always, and Jon Oliva back on Vocals is a nice treat (though Zac Stevens will be missed). The album has an interesting story behind it and comes with a random photograph of a girl with the words 'the only reason I have left is you on the back of it'. Though it may seem kinda random, once you've read the story and heard the album, you'll realize it's small touches like this that help bring the music to life.

This is an album that I think fans of any Savatage era can get into, and obviously fans of TSO and Jon Oliva's Pain should enjoy. But more importantly Prog fans and Heavy Metal fans of all varieties should find something in here that they like. Fingers crossed that one day we'll get another album under the Savatage name, but until we do, buy this album and enjoy it.

Valarius | 5/5 |