Deep Purple - Machine Head CD (album) cover

MACHINE HEAD

Deep Purple

Proto-Prog

Sinusoid
3 stars This seems to me more like a proto-metal album than a proto-prog album due to the massive amount of riff-oriented songs and the massive sound wall created largely by Jon Lord's organ. Nevertheless, I feel that ''Lazy'' and ''Pictures of Home'' have elements that prog fans might just get a kick out of. For me, ''Space Truckin'' and ''Never Before'' are a bit on the lame side while ''Highway Star'' is my favourite cut from MACHINE HEAD. The compositions are tight, lean on the heavy side, but have enough staying power so I can remember the album long after hearing it.

Summation: Anybody who is a fan of hard rock ought to have had this album by now, but it really isn't that essential for a prog fan as there aren't enough elements to satisfy truists. For me personally, this is a healthy album for me as it is a break from the other prog-bombastic CD's that I own. Even though there are plenty of great songs to go around, three stars seems like a just rating since there's not THAT much prog (plus, I don't listen to it as regularly as I used to...).

Sinusoid | 3/5 |