Sparks - Lil' Beethoven CD (album) cover

LIL' BEETHOVEN

Sparks

poito
4 stars 3.8. I came to this album of a band I've never listened to before attracted by a curious comment where someone mentioned this was their only prog album in a long career. So I thought that I might give it a try, maybe they were trying to show something. And yes, I totally agree. This is a good prog album with a fresh air. The composition is got a Zappa-like avant-gard flavor, 3-5 min tracks in which they use plenty of short musical high-spirited motifs and abundant good voices, sung in a great frontman and back-choirs game, charade style, a bit too repetitive maybe, and the lyrics at times has satiric/social content and at times just senseless or frugal, you can imagine from the titles of the tracks, but all of it wrapped with marvelous music, combining instruments in a delicate and clever manner. If you don't pay attention to the lyrics, globally the album kind of has a Prog-Rock opera style, a good one, anyway. This people make music, no doubt. Pity their usual style is Pop for the fun, haunting and pleasing large audiences and having fun in live shows. They would have also crafted a great career in the Prog line, but it seems they began in a glam-rock style alla Bolan/TRex, precursors of Frank Ferdinand and the likes. All tracks here are good to listen for a standard light prog fan, with some highs in The Rhythm Thief, How Do I Get To Carnegie Hall, Ride'Em Cowboy, Ugly Guys With Beautiful Girls and Your Call's Very Important to Us. Please Hold.
poito | 4/5 |