Celeste - Celeste [Aka: Principe Di Un Giorno] CD (album) cover

CELESTE [AKA: PRINCIPE DI UN GIORNO]

Celeste

Rock Progressivo Italiano

poito
4 stars One more of the gems of the Italian prog scene fortunately unburied from the backyard of music history. I am happy the disc company industry went bankrupted by piracy. So happy! You see, before that it was almost impossible that we could even have a taste for any music unless they had packed it for you. It demanded a great effort just to get to know the new groups in our neighborhood, or those that passed by your hometown in holidays and they were generously paid by the 'authorities'. Radio and TV broadcasting were shameless slaves of disc companies. Nothing to scratch there. We had to wait 40 years to listen to these musical treasures, all thanks to musical archeologists. Anyway, here they are, at last. This CELESTE is a rare album in which all tracks are mellow, and at times it makes you wish an outburst just to break the trend. It has a lot of influence by the prog heroes, for instance the marvellous Fripp's mellotron painting it all in the background, while beautiful Gabriel's flutes draw butterflies in the front, but there is plenty of compositional work with amazing tunes. A curious singer in a smooth warm voice alla Paul Simon. I do not see much folk music here, at least not in the celtic style we normally refer to. Flutes, acoustic guitar and piano fragments, combined to make perfect atmospheres that still, will demand your attention not to miss the compositional effort. The album is not well balanced though. The second half (B-side?) is less inspired. Check these: Principe Di Giorno, Eftus, Favole Antiche, and Giochi Nella Notte.
poito | 4/5 |