Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon CD (album) cover

DOOMSDAY AFTERNOON

Phideaux

ZowieZiggy
3 stars It seems that a lot of reviewers discovered Phideaux with this release. It got five times more ratings than any of the other albums he released. At last, he made a remarked entry on PA.

I am always careful with his albums because they go from brilliant ("Chupacabras", "Ghost Story") to extremely poor ("Friction"). Fortunately, this one is more on the good side.

I am not a huge enthusiast about orchestrations, but I have to admit that these are discreet enough here; they are just sustaining the band and are playing mostly in the background; which is fine with me.

This concept album is best experienced when listened from A to Z, and it is a very enjoyable record all the way through even if my preferences go to the great opening song "Micro Deathstar". This is a fantastic voyage into the "Phideaux" world for eleven minutes. The highlight.

It is true to say that Floyd influences are many (especially the keyboards) but maybe it is due to the fact that I am thinking to Richard these days (RIP). "Thank You For The Evil" is the most Floydian of all sounding very much as SOYCD. It is another beautiful song.

Not all pieces from this album are pure magic (otherwise, it would have been a masterpiece). The pastoral and folkish "Formaldehyde" is too mellowish for this. It could have been featured on a "Mostly Autumn" album with no problem. The same applies here as well: the second part of the song is more upbeat and features a fine.keys work (instead of guitar on lots of MA track).

It is a bit of a pity that this album is not consistently strong. It started brilliantly, but the second half is weaker IMHHO. The epic and closing song won't help: it is a summary of this album and features the same influences: Floyd and folk. Doomsday Afternoon remains a good album, just shy of the four star rating.

ZowieZiggy | 3/5 |