Ako Doma - Ako Doma CD (album) cover

Ako Doma

2 stars AKO DOMA showed maturity since their debut days, a high quality playing with well developed interplays, but a bit too formulaic at times.

Kudos to this band for being homogenic while noodling all the time. The most outstanding instrument is certainly guitar - showing the expressiveness of a highest rank. Guitar is also the most melodic instrument here - and this album lacks more melodies, or to be precise, more hooks.

The music they're playing I showing resemblance with KING CRIMSON's Discipline, while far from being carbon copy. There are often heavy guitar pattern, driving the tune, while saxophone is giving jazz flavour and other instrument just noodling (but noodling as in elaborately noodling) giving various tapestries. Musicianship is on a high level, the playing is tight, but for my taste too dense; there's not much time to breath. I mentioned this band needs, in my opinion, more catchy melodies; the second thing is much more diverse dynamic range; simply said - some quite moments. Without that, this album is swamped with self-indulgence. Which is not necessarily bad, but I wish they presented their material with a more easygoing attitude; some of the compound time measure are forced. In conclusion - we have a record of progressive rock with diversity, eclecticism, tight playing; and yet it's formulaic and it's not moving me deeper. So typical syndrome for modern bands: we love play, so we play prog, therefore we must play prog. I would prefer some songwriting instead of mathematical calculations. If they would only start with simple three-chord sing-along tune and then develop it slowly until it reaches the degree of complexity this band is maintaining, that would be whole another story.

clarke2001 | 2/5 |