Cynic - Traced In Air CD (album) cover

TRACED IN AIR

Cynic

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

GrahamK
5 stars How long has it been? 10? 15 years? Cynic's debut, Focus for me was an unparalelled musical tour de force. I remember being somewhat heartbroken to learn of the bands split so it was a pleasant surprise to hear about the re union earlier this year.

Now onto the new music. Its safe to say that even though there has been a huge gap between both releases that this new release Traced in Air is a logical successor to Focus. The music picks up where Focus left off. The musicianship is tight as would be expected. The songs are possibly more melodic with, dare I say it, some Steely Dan-esque moments. High points for me would be the majestic Evolutionary Sleeper and the weaving King of those who know thought to be honest, there isnt a low point on the album.

Highly recommended to those in search of something a little different.

GrahamK | 5/5 |