Sieges Even - A Sense Of Change CD (album) cover

A SENSE OF CHANGE

Sieges Even

poito
3 stars 3.5 stars Rough beauty. That's how I would label this album by the German band SE. They have such a clear and pounding sound that it may appear a bit crude at first, straight to the brains. Had it had a bit of lubricant wax it might be more digestible and accessible to a larger audience. If I were to credit cliches, this is the way I would expect German prog would be, but we know quite a few examples of smooth and mellow bands from Kant's homeland. I think the rudeness comes from the trio format of instruments (guitar, bass and drum) plus a singer (a bit dull). The music is made of a succession of instrumental additions instead of layers. It reminds Rush and second King Crimson era (the bad one), with the powerful guitar filling everything. No keys, and the bass is a bit shy, what leaves the drums alone in the front to duel with the guitar or the voice. The drummer is passable, a bit frugal and stiff for my taste. A couple of tracks are kind of melodic, such as Change of Seasons played with cello, viola and violins, my favorite, while the others experience with Rush/KC derivatives, but never reaching the brilliance and musicality of the Canadians. Worth to step by Dimensions, with some surprises, as a Spanish guitar, and in which the singer and the bass get the marks. The album lacks high moments and some recognizable motifs. It is excessively aseptic in my view. While it is pleasant for listening, it leaves little afterwards.
poito | 3/5 |