Peter Gabriel - Us CD (album) cover

US

Peter Gabriel

poito
5 stars Six years after the success of SO, PG scores a tour de force with US. I can't say if there is anything new in the album, maybe not, but it sounds as never heard, except for the rhythmic section (it would be hard to make up something new in percussion, wouldn't it). The question is that by simply using and reusing their all-time resources PG plays magician and gets a trick off the hat after another, on every track. Maybe we've seen it thousand times, but he manages to make us feel it is anew. Someone said nearby that you leave out the electronics and ethnic stuff and you get contemporary adult music. That's a curious way of saying I don't understand where music comes from. If you leave those out friend, you are left with PG, a man that wore bizarre costumes while singing and you wouldn't even realize because something extraordinary was floating on the air. Something coming out of a gifted throat and a gifted brain. PG steps out of the commercial line in US, what makes the album more exclusive, without concessions to the audience, but PG's audience knows he can give something different at every note. Maybe there are no refrains here to remember, nor easy tunes to sing in the shower, but every note, every arrangement is a spoonful of delicious joy for the music lover. I needed 3-4 spins to start getting the essences flowing slowly out of my ears and into my brain, but I can now tell you, it is infectious, you may keep it spinning all day long and never get tired.
poito | 5/5 |