Steve Hillage - Fish Rising CD (album) cover

FISH RISING

Steve Hillage

Canterbury Scene

poito
5 stars Steve Hillage is one of the few musicians that fought back the devastation produced by punk and disco music in mid 70's. When many Prog mastodons were deciding whether kneeling or closing business, a few heroes like SH ignored the hecatomb and dedicated selflessly to keep on creating amazing music, which would however remain in the shelves of a few teenagers that just woke up to life and music in those days and decided to swim against the tide. SH is a Canterburian guitar player, formerly part of the melt pot band GONG and probably one of the best guitars of all times (mark this name), plus an amazing composer. He was able to take his Canterbury roots and evolve to a unique style. Some have called it space rock, but I don't share that view at all. That's an often misused tag in which some techno-hippie sounds are often allocated. But SH is far from this in this album. He used glissando style at the guitar, a few echo arrangements and sounds, and occasionally some techno-aerial bits, that's it. But this album is a clear heir of the Canterbury scene taking elements from the hippie era, and occasionally includes bits of India flavors, which will be more prominent in following releases. This is one of a kind, a masterpiece of Prog. We are first blessed by a 17 min epic called the Solar Music Suite, a magnum opus full of new sounds, motifs and thrilling guitar. Also outstanding is The Salmon Song, in the same vein. A jumpy salmon is depicted in the cover, playing with the equivocal scene of a god fish rising triumphant to the world and a poor fish that is about to be caught and become food, maybe us when we dare to stand out. The closing track called Aftaglid, again dominated by master guitar work, is recorded in a delightful stereo sound that wraps you up and takes us inside of a musical box, perfect to listen while relaxing in a bath tube. You don't want it to finish. The airs of late 60's psicodellia are still floating, and SH probably incarnates the prototype of hippie that evokes to India, gurus and lamas in late 60's, but this album will shock you up and you will learn why music re-born to the world in those restless years. The recording is excellent for the time. I bought this and other SH's in tape format, which I still treasure, and the sound was already so good. Only 2-3 years earlier they were so deficient. This album is a masterpiece, one of those I would like someone to point for me if I were young. A discovery. Trust me.
poito | 5/5 |