Fates Warning - Parallels CD (album) cover

PARALLELS

Fates Warning

Valarius
4 stars 'Parallels' was my introduction to Fates Warning, and as far as first impressions go, this one is certainly a memorable one.

Having not been exposed to any of their material before this, I came across this album on Ebay, which I thought I'd check out as I knew they were closely connected to Dream Theater. At first I was a little put off by the more straight forward song writing style than that of the over-the-top musicianship of a band like Dream Theater, but after a while it clicked with me what Fates Warning are about.

The guitar work is hugely impressive, especially the nice combination of distorted and clean guitars, on songs such as 'Eye to Eye' and 'We Only Say Goodbye'. And then there is, of course, 'The Eleventh Hour', a reasonably simple song by Progressive Metal standards, but with a groove so awesome I don't think anyone can resist headbanging to it.

Plenty of guitar harmonies and melodies keep this an interesting album, and some unique guitar riffs by Jim Matheos will keep most guitar players intrigued by what they're hearing.

Sadly, this album doesn't get a five-star rating from me. 'Don't Follow Me', is a good song, but I feel it really isn't as good when compared to the previous tracks, and the final track 'The Road Goes on Forever'. I regret to say, but this song is pretty boring.

This album as a whole is amazing though. Don't be put off by my comments of the last two songs. I think fans of any genre of Prog, or Metal fans who aren't afraid of a bit of melodic music, will find something to enjoy here.

Valarius | 4/5 |