Mr. Gil - Skellig CD (album) cover

SKELLIG

Mr. Gil

poito
3 stars 2.5

When I first listened to this album without having had a look at the credits I said myself, hey, I've listened to this drummer before! Of course, he is Wojtek Szadkowski, the genius drummer, founder and leader of one of the greatest Prog bands of all times, SATELLITE, in turn derived from another totem band, COLLAGE. Isn't small this world? It seems that when SATELLITE disbanded Szad joined his former band mate for a while. Sorry Mr. Gil, but first is first. In the end, there is no much to say about this album. Actually, I'm still a bit deceived by how simple the guitar work is here. Gil found just one good idea, which is overexploited once and again in the long tracks "Skellig" and "Otwieram Drzwi" and "Odmieniec". Actually, the first two appear the same song with slightly different arrangements. It is hard to believe this is the same guitar player that once formed part of COLLAGE. Normally, when a guitar player in a great band starts a solo career is because he felt constrained and needed a way out for his ideas, but I did not expect such a feeble composition and technical simplicity. Well time waits for no one, as the STONES sung one day, and we finally turn to a childish state or something as we go past the red line of life. The track "Rzeka" is got a catchy melody after MARILLION. Technically, the production of the album is rather deficient; the guitar is excessively front-loud compared to the rest of instruments. That was a big mistake since the simplicity of the guitar work comes to tiring when it dominates that much the scene. Very few times I wished a guitar riff to end, so raucous. The voices by Karol Wroblebski are OK, though he has too a strong pitch for Prog. Also he tries to emulate the great Tomi Meglic from the wonderful Slovenian band SIDDARTHA.

poito | 3/5 |