Giraffe - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - ProgFest '94 CD (album) cover

THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY - PROGFEST '94

Giraffe

poito
3 stars Strange that a band that used to play flat pop with some funky airs and little if any inspiration was able to make such an extraordinary tribute to a classic GENESIS in a life show in Progfest. It seems they had two souls...which probably never met in the same room. The show is very accomplished, it is clear these guys loved The Lamb, as many of us. The music does not require high technical skill except at the drums perhaps, but it requires a lot of rehearsal and a good deal of emotion to make something good out of it. And they succeeded. I particularly liked the sentiment they put in the cover of "The Cage", memorable, although the hard work was already done; I mean, such an eternal theme that was crafted by the gods as a present for the human kind needs no much to give the shivers. Other memorable themes were also great attempts as the thrilling "Back in NYC" and "Watchers in the Sky", plus an impressive "Musical Box" but Peter Gabriel is always flying over, whispering to our ears where to find perfection, you know. The singer, who has no particularly attractive pitch, does an excellent job though. I have to admit that I would have enjoyed the life concert of these people like a donkey in a field of potatoes. It must have been close to orgasmic for the audience. Ok, well, 3 stars are all I can score a tribute, no matter how good it is. But of course, you rather get the originals if you need a climax.
poito | 3/5 |