Yes - Big Generator CD (album) cover

BIG GENERATOR

Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I realy liked '90125' . It wasn´t exceptional, but it did mix well the classic Yes sound with some pop sensibilities and gave them a modern arrangement. Not their very best, but good anyway. The same cannot be said of Big Generator. Here those guys went too much over the top. Their techno-pop approach is no convincing at all. The songs are very weak, the arrangements are forced and the gereranl feeling is of that they´re in for the money.

No that the album is a total disaster. Things improve from Love Will Find A Way on. Ok, that tune looks like a an Asia rip off, but at least it works. It is a good AOR song. Final Eyes and I´m Running have a more progressive feeling to them, but still they are below '90125' best moments (not to mention their classic, 70´s stuff). Holy Lamb is a cute little song that is quite diffferent from the rest of the album. And I really don´t like most of the keyboards and effects (too much Duran Duran, Depeche Mode and the like. I´d rather hear the original ones for this kind of music).

I cannot recommend this CD to anyone but completionists, collectors and hardcore fans. Yes released much better stuff, even in 80´s. 2 stars.

Tarcisio Moura | 2/5 |