Jethro Tull - The Broadsword And The Beast CD (album) cover

THE BROADSWORD AND THE BEAST

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Ooh, I love this album. Especially if you put it in context. In 1983 it was hard to believe any band would release an album like this: high caliber prog fok, very 70īs style (albeit with some modern synthesizers sound here and there). It was a bold movement, for it surely would meet with some hostile reviews. But the results were worth it and far better than the weak A (1980).

Ian Anderson found the right line up here: with Dave Pegg on bass he reconected himself with his folk rock roots, and with Peter-John Vettese he found someone who could dealt with the latest keyboard and programming technology without deforming the songīs strutures. The guy was a fine arranger and could handle things very well: the album sounds more updated for the 80īs. But it is still the old Jethro Tull we all loved. Very few classic bands could claim that at the time.

Even now I think the album stood well the test of time: Ian Anderson is very inspired, the band is good shape and the songs flow evenly. Production is good, but although I donīt own the new remastered version, I recommend you get that one: the sound is actually better and you also get some good bonus tracks with it. The Broadsword And The Beast may not be a classic in the same vein as their best 70īs output, but it comes close. Four stars.

Tarcisio Moura | 4/5 |