Mike Oldfield - The Millenium Bell  CD (album) cover

THE MILLENIUM BELL

Mike Oldfield

AtomicCrimsonRush
Symphonic Team
1 stars The Milennium Bell is not up to the standard of previous Tubular Bells Efforts.

There is a lot that Mike Oldfield attempts on this CD particularly the way he merges his trademark style with operatic and symphonic elements to create a huge wall of sound. But it is so overblown and pretentious at times it simply does not work in the way that previous Tubular Bells albums do.

We start with the bombastic Peace on Earth merging into the dull Pacha mama and Santa Maria. It was at this stage that I decided that I did not like this album. Mastermind and Broad sunlit uplands captured my attention in a small way as they were more progressive in style, but overall this is a mediocre album at best.

The only reall standout is The millenium bell but at over 7 minutes even this becomes a yawnfest.

Whatever Oldfield was attempting here it fails on almost every level. A disappointing effort and one to avoid unless you are a completist.

AtomicCrimsonRush | 1/5 |