Mogwai - Young Team CD (album) cover

YOUNG TEAM

Mogwai

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
3 stars Young Team is the debut studio album from post rock act Mogwai. Released in 1997 Young Team is one of the defining albums in the genre.

The music is largely instrumental ( except for a bit of talking here and there) and the instrumentation is generally very minimalistic. Drums, Guitar, bass and occasional piano/ keyboard/ flute. Most songs are build around a single or two riffs and not much happens if your focus is on technical and challenging playing. The emphasis is on atmosphere and the dynamics in the music. Sometimes the playing is really quiet and sometimes its really loud and noisy. Like Herod is a good example. My favorite is probably the ambient and mellow Tracy as it is a bit different from the rest of the songs on the album. There are a few long songs on the album the 11:44 minute long Like Herod and the 16:17 minute long Mogwai Fear Satan but the other songs are between 1 and 7 minutes which suits me better. The longer songs quickly gets too repetitive and boring.

The musicianship is good even though nothing here really stands out as challenging or special in my ears.

The production is clear, warm and pleasant.

Young Team is not really an album that suits my taste. Im way too busy and this music is generally way too repetitive and longdrawn with emphasis on atmosphere instead of interesting playing. If I want to hear something that fits that description I listen to music like Nosound. Mogwais music lacks the ability to grap me emotionally and as such ʹm left with a feeling of indiffence after listening to Young Team. Ill give Young Team this much. This is quality music. Well written and performed and because of these qualities Ill rate Young Team 3 SMALL stars. To anyone with my taste in music this is not very recommendable though.

UMUR | 3/5 |