Between The Buried And Me - Automata I CD (album) cover

AUTOMATA I

Between The Buried And Me

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

javajeff
4 stars This is half of an album, so it is hard to judge until it is complete. But they put it out there, so it is fair game. I can start off by saying they are a favorite of mine that I listen to often. If you do not know about Between The Buried And Me, you must get Colors immediately. Automata: Part 1 is easily one of my least favorite Between The Buried And Me releases. It lacks the magic of some of the other albums, but that could be because it is just half of an album. It is a step down from Coma Ecliptic, and probably on par with the debut album or The Silent Circus. With that being said, more Between The Buried And Me is always a good thing. Automata: Part 1 is a good listen, although short, and has some quality tracks like Blot and Condemned to the Gallows. But we are back to the question of "What is it?" The second half of this album which is expected to drop this year can be a game changer. Maybe we end up with a masterpiece when the two halves are finally united. I am not sure if releasing albums in two pieces is a new type of cash grab or an artistic process. 3.5/5 stars for now.
javajeff | 4/5 |