Rivers of Nihil - Where Owls Know my Name CD (album) cover

WHERE OWLS KNOW MY NAME

Rivers of Nihil

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

javajeff
5 stars This is the most progressive of the three releases, and a sign that they found a signature sound. With a healthy does of sax, this release has so much variety that it should interest the most demanding prog ears. The first two albums are classified as Technical Death Metal, but Where Owls Know my Name adds new layers of complexity heading them into Cynic's wheelhouse. While Rivers of Nihil are not a cookie cutter copy of Cynic, they have moved forward with a technical and surprising release. After an intro, The Silent Life gets things moving with the Technical yet melodic Death Metal of their past releases. Then it breaks down into a tempo change with a sax melody to keep the listener guessing. Then it moves back to pure aggression. The rest of the album has a similar rotation from avant-garde jazz movements mixed in with the Death Metal. There are no bad tracks, and Where Owls Know my Name proves it is a masterpiece with a high level of creativity, and of course, the stellar album art. This is easily the best album released in 2018 through April for me, and I look forward to their future releases.
javajeff | 5/5 |