Genesis - Congo CD (album) cover

CONGO

Genesis

progaardvark
1 stars I only have the US version of this single which features the shortened and edited version of Congo (hint: radio suitable) and the album version. This was the first single Genesis in a post-Phil Collins lineup released. Although Ray Wilson is a good singer, his husky-like style takes a bit getting used making the song, and indeed the Calling All Stations album, seem more like a Banks/Rutherford collaboration rather than an actual Genesis song. That for me, is the major downside.

The other problem I have is why the US version didn't contain something different that didn't make it onto the album? I know the album was bad, so I can only guess the material that didn't make the cut was worst (or maybe not?).

Basically this is pop music from a band struggling in the late 1990s to get a new identity. Similar to the usual fare from Asia and ELP at the time. Not worth looking for unless your a completionist. One star.

progaardvark | 1/5 |