Isis - Mosquito Control CD (album) cover

MOSQUITO CONTROL

Isis

Experimental/Post Metal

UMUR
3 stars Mosquito Control is the debut release from US ( first Boston, now Los Angeles) experimental metal/ post metal act Isis. Mosquito Control is an EP which consists of four songs and with a total playing time of 28:29 minutes. The EP was released in October of 1998 on the Escape Artist label.

The music is very heavy and slow yet groovy metal. The vocals are harsh harcore style. The most obvious influence is Neurosis, but the music on Mosquito Control is not only influenced by Neurosis. There´s also a very distinct industrial element in the music that occasionally reminds me of Ministry or Godflesh. The songs are all of high compositional quality even though I could use a few more hooks along the way and the last couple of minutes in Relocation Swarm should have been left out. Noise for the sake of it is best in a live environment and not on an album IMO.

The musicianship is great and if you´re familiar with Isis debut album Celestial (2000) you´ ll recognise the riffing style and the drum style from Aaron Harris.

The production is very good. Grand and hard hitting.

Isis has yet to prove to me that they are entitled to be mentioned alongside Neurosis when people discuss the greatest post metal acts ( I must add here that I have only listened to this EP and their debut album at this time), but Mosquito Control is definitely a step on the way and it deserves a 3 star rating from me. Good first release.

UMUR | 3/5 |