Between The Buried And Me - Automata II CD (album) cover

AUTOMATA II

Between The Buried And Me

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

javajeff
4 stars Automata Part II is a big step up from Automata Part I, but the combined effort is still lower than their masterpieces. The Proverbial Bellow and The Grid are standard, well executed, Between The Buried And Me tracks that can fit with their best albums. Glide is a filler track, and the standout on this EP is Voice of Trespass which sounds like something Diablo Swing Orchestra would have created. I do not have an issue with them copying the style as it has been done by other groups. They did a stellar job with the track, creating the most complex arrangement on the EP. Most important with this release is that it has the energy that was missing from Automata Part I. Can it elevate Part I? Maybe. Now that we have a complete album, it will take some time to evaluate it as a whole. I really do not like this two part release process and wish they would have waited until the entire album was done. Also, I wish it was available on Bandcamp like their other albums. With all of that being said, it is another quality release that can only be marred by the stellar releases it follows.
javajeff | 4/5 |