Unitopia - The Garden CD (album) cover

THE GARDEN

Unitopia

stewe
2 stars This record is acclaimed as one of the best releases and revelations of the year in the prog circles. I don't quite understand why. It has really nice shell - incredibly varied instruments (exotic rhythmic, use of woodwinds, orchestral arranges), changing styles, good instrumental skills, some sweet melodies, epic and perfect sound. All contemporary prog elements and ingredients are here, but nothing new, I miss personal identity or own spirit. Ideas seem to be recycled and derived in too obvious and predictable and forced way to me. Influences of neo-prog bands (Marillion, Fish, Arena, Neal Morse, TFK, The Tangent, Proto-Kaw...) are way too much visible. I also find lyrics to be simple-minded and cheesy (in some strange sense funny as well) and the singer is unfortunately quite annoying to my tastes.

If you want to listen to pleasant background, proven procedures, exercise how the neo-prog should be manufactured, this could be for you. For a bit adventurous listeners who search for some more challenging or intensive musical journey, I'd say it's quite a waste of time.

stewe | 2/5 |