Sigur Rós - Von CD (album) cover

VON

Sigur Rós

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
1 stars Von is the debut studio album from Iceland´s experimental/ post rock legends Sigur Rós. I´ve read many reviews of Sigur Rós albums over the years but never listened to anything from them ( I might have seen a video once, I seem to remember something but I´m not sure). From the other reviews here on PA I can read that this album is not the best place to start with the band and I can only agree with that.

The music is very ambient, very noisy and extremely repetitive. Out of the very ( too) long playing time ( 72:19 minutes) there´s only a few minutes of structured music that actually sounds like songs. The rest is ambient sound experiments. At least that´s what it sounds like to my ears. The beautiful cover artwork lured me into believing that I was in for something special ( stupid me. I´ll never trust glossy pictures again), but I was terribly let down. Just getting through the opening songs 9:47 minutes was something of a trial for me. I guess I just don´t have the patience for this extremely long drawn and repetitive music/ sounds. Music this extreme will always be an aquired taste, I know that, but Sigur Rós really takes it too far on Von. There are redeeming moments on the album and I would like to mention Syndir Guđs (Opinberun Frelsarans) which is by far the best song on the album IMO. There´s drums and something that reminds me of structured songwriting present in that song. Too bad the album ends with several minutes of silence before we´re treated with backwards played song noises. That borders waste of time IMO.

The musicianship seems allright, but I´m having a hard time judging their skills from the occasional bits of songs that occur between the ambient sounds.

The production is good, but it doesn´t really soothe my ears.

I don´t give out many 1 star ratings, and quite frankly I hate to give them, because when I do, it means that I have just spend time listening to an album that I dislike more than usual. I never quite feel that the time was totally wasted though as I like to broaden my horizon with new or unknown acts. Sometimes my curiosity works and I´m rewarded with something exciting and sometimes it don´t. It´s pretty obvious that it didn´t work at all with Von. A 1 star rating it is. I hope I didn´t step on too many toes in my review but it´s a bit difficult not to sound a bit negative in a 1 star review.

UMUR | 1/5 |