Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos CD (album) cover

SYSTEMATIC CHAOS

Dream Theater

Valarius
5 stars I was horrified when I heard around mid-2007 that Dream Theater had signed on with Roadrunner Records. My overall opinion was that Roadrunner was a label that mainly focused on flavour-of-the-month kind of bands, and didn't really focus as much on the music as it did the attitude. Of course I also feared that the label would make Dream Theater's music more mainstream and watered-down to appeal to the more non-Prog Metal audience.

Thankfully I was wrong.

It's no secret that Dream Theater are not the same band they were when they first appeared, and that their sound has changed a lot over the last few albums. To my pleasure though, Roadrunner didn't make the band spit out a standard Slipknot/Trivium-esque metal album.

Everything Dream Theater fans like about the band is still here. But there is one thing in particular about this album. I can't describe it, but I think maybe a good word would be that the band seem very 'focused'. Maybe it's the fact that they now have a big name record company backing them that they want to produce something that will appeal to a bigger market, yet keep all the old fans happy.

Overall this album is brilliant and has all the elements we love about this band. Great technical ability and musicianship. Long, complex songs and concepts, and great vocals by Mr. LaBrie. With two songs nearing ten minutes in duration and two songs reaching 15 minutes, there is some great stuff that old and new fans can get into. There is also some amazing riffing going on thanks to John Petrucci. 'Constant Motion', 'The Dark Eternal Night' and 'In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 2' have some of the most incredible and epic riffs I've ever heard. (Especially around 6:20 of ITPOE).

Maybe not as important or vital as their earlier albums, none-the-less this is an amazing album that belongs in any Prog Metal fans collection.

Valarius | 5/5 |