Budgie - Bandolier CD (album) cover

BANDOLIER

Budgie

friso
4 stars Budgie on progarchives. If this is a true nomination I don't realy know, but I do know this is a great album from the English underground rocklegend Budgie. My brother got into this music and so I was thrown into it. I don't know a lot about Budgie's other offerings, this is the only one I own. Maybe this makes the review good for other starters in budgie, for it is objective in a way.

The budgie sound has a lot of elements in it. The startersong 'Breaking the house rules' is an hard rock song, but still quite gentle. You can hear the roots of the bluesrock in it. Also you can see this as an root for the later metal-like recordings. Vocalist Shelly has a voice that is very unique, high in pitch and still a rocking sound. The vocals aren't the main point here though, they flow with the music and the recording gives the vocals a subdued role. The guitars are rocking but still have an sort of artistic feel to it. Great starting song for getting us warmed-up.

Slipaway is a dreamy song in low tempo. The main theme is very melodic and the song has a sort of magical feel, undiscribeble. I like it very much! It makes me calm down in a way only music can. Who do you wan't for your love is another great song with elements of the first two song: It has dreamy parts and is has hardrocking parts with great tempochanges and different moods.

On side two we have I can't see my feelings, wich is an hard rock track with nothing to add. Just good, just '70. I ain't no Mountain is the only weak point IMO on this album. It is too simple, but still it isn't an anoying track so we will see it through the fingers (as the Dutch say when they accept things).

One of the main progressive points of interest is The Napoleon Bonapart one and two suite (I love this joke). Part one is again a good example of a '70 rock band showing some magical themes that make them so much more special then all the others in the genre at the time. Blue Oyster Cult was very good in this. Part one however is an great piece and it makes you want more. This is precisely what you will get with part two! Great guitar riffs, outstanding vocals and great melodic themes. One guitar part with delay is striking, folllowed up by the main riff this gives a great feeling of tension and relaxation following each other up.

Great hard rock, nice melodies, great overall atmosphere and some magical moments, this sound like a four star recording! Just try you heavey proggers and '70 specialists!

friso | 4/5 |