Fairport Convention - Angel Delight CD (album) cover

ANGEL DELIGHT

Fairport Convention

UMUR
2 stars Angel Delight is the sixth studio album from UK folk rock act Fairport Convention. After Fairport Conventionīs fourth album Liege & Lief (1969) lead vocalist Sandy Denny ( and bassist Ashley Hutchings) left the band, and the remaining members where left to re-consider how they would carry on. They decided not to employ a new female vocalist and took on the vocal duties themselves which means that Fairport Conventionīs fifth studio album Full House (1970) has all male vocals. A pretty big change in their sound that also continues on Angel Delight.

The music is folk rock with an either melancholic ( not often) but mostly jolly mood. Lots of fiddle, guitar and mandolin. The vocals are much better than on Full House where I think it was obvious that it was the first time the singers had to be in front of a mike. Thereīs the obligatory intrumental medley of folk traditionals, but most songs are vocal driven original songs.

The musicianship is good, but I donīt like the vocals much ( even though they are better than on Full House as mentioned). There are moments when they are allright, but generally they are pretty weak IMO.

The production is good. Professional and well sounding but not to my personal taste.

Angel Delight is not an album that I enjoy much. Itīs simply not in a style Iīm interested in. I prefer my folk rock to be more rock than folk and on this album itīs the other way around ( or maybe itīs just me thatīs confusing things). I still think Fairport Convention miss the strong and distinct vocals from Sandy Denny to really make them interesting. Itīs also as if the songs have become less memorable and the highlights have become fewer than on the sixties albums. I canīt give more than 2 stars.

UMUR | 2/5 |