Renaissance - Turn Of The Cards  CD (album) cover

Renaissance

Easy Livin
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Spot the borrowed melody

A fine album from Renaissance, with plenty of prog content to boot. The album consists of a mere six tracks, all except two written by Michael Dunsford and (non band member) Betty Thatcher.

The opening track, "Things I don't understand" was written by Dunsford/McCarthy. It's a symphonic piano driven piece, the vocals of Annie Haslam complementing the lengthy instrumental passages perfectly. The other feature tracks are "Mother Russia", a very powerful piece with many moods, and "Running hard", a traditional Renaissance quasi-classical workout.

I said there were two tracks not written by Dunsford/Thatcher. While "Cold is being" is also credited to them, even with my limited classical music knowledge I can spot Albinoni's "Adagio for organ and strings" when I hear it (it is a very well know tune). Fair enough, the lyrics were not written by that composer, but regardless of any copyright issues he should have at least received some recognition for providing the melody, note for note.

That said, this is a quality offering from Renaissance, full of complexity and innovation.

Easy Livin | 4/5 |