The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath CD (album) cover

The Mars Volta

5 stars I love all four studio albums from this innovative band. They really have taken Prog to a new level. Post- Punk Prog for Now People. Amazing.

Their third studio album is very good, but I didn't find it up to the standards of the first two albums. But then with this album they re-focus their energies to update their vision, giving the band a new lease on life. They've taken the energy often found in the first two albums, but sustain that energy throughout the entire album by using less slow/soft moments, yet at the same time interject more hooks and groove than before. A logical continuation of their full onslaught sound, but still a step forward, which everyone wants from innovative bands.

I'm not sure its "better" than the first two, but I'd say its just as good. So it surprises me that its got the lowest ratings of all four. I give it a 5* classic rating.

akajazzman | 5/5 |